13 September 2006

Lysistrata in Colombia

I have no idea whether it is another apocryphal tale but this story appeared in today’s Guardian and elsewhere. I like the idea of thugs being told “make war and you don’t make love!” It is an idea that has so many applications

Gang members in Pereira, one of Colombia's most violent cities face an ultimatum: give up guns or give up sex. In what is being called a "strike of crossed legs” the wives and girlfriends of gang members have said they will not have sex with their partners until they hand over their weapons to authorities and sign up for vocational training offered by the mayor's office.

Pereira, a city of 300,000 people, has Colombia's highest murder rate at 97 per 100,000 inhabitants.

4 comments:

Bob said...

Ah, Yes. Makes me think of the U.S. military training couplet, recited when the male soldier is holding the requisite items:
This is my pistol and this is my gun;
This is for shooting and this is for fun.

Interesting story, Jams.

jams o donnell said...

Sex or violence? facing the same choice I would definitely plump for the one that's for fun Fraser!

Thanks puanbesar. I am glad you like my blog. Much appreciated

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I made the same stance at my house. I told that man of mine that he better not even think about coming home without something from Taco Bell if he wanted to get some.

My old biddy of a stepmom is from Colombia. I wonder what my Dad had to give up to get her to give in to get in? You can call my Dad, Maurice, because he's the original Gangster of Love!

jams o donnell said...

lol ewbl. The not wife has me conditioned too but no Taco Bells here in the UK... for her it would be, say no Green & Blacks chocolate, no afters!