18 October 2006

A poet and a prater

Hugo Chávez, president, revolutionary, and firebrand is now in election campaign mode. Newspaper e;ecyion adverts have done away with the usual beret, the red shirt and the martial rhetoric and introduced a poet, against a leafy background, with a "message of love for the people of my Venezuela"

In a 13-line poem, Mr Chávez says he became a painter, a student, a soldier, a president and a champion of the poor out of love, and asks to be re-elected in December. The tone is designed to appeal to the numerous undecided voters to give him another term.

Mr Chavez, who is expected to win re-election in December, is reaching out to those unhappy with his ties to Cuba and anti-US rhetoric. Opponents have mocked the poem. "For the love of God, please stop it!" said one blog. One critic responded with a poem accusing Mr Chávez of being an oppressor. "Some types of love just kill you."

Ode to Venezuela

Always, I did everything for love For love towards the tree, the river, I became a painter/ For the love of knowledge, I left my dear hometown, to study/ For the love of sports, I became a baseball player/ For the love of the homeland, I became a soldier/ For the love of the people, I made myself president, you made me president/ I have governed for love/ There is a lot more to do. I need more time/ I need your vote. Your vote for love

My own poetry is pretty bad too but I wouldn’t dream of using it in an election campaign! His spoken performances are far worse:



In 2004 Chavez feted Mugabe as a "true warrior of freedom" during a visit to Venezuela. Earlier this year Chavez heaped praise on Mahmoud Ahmadinejad ."We have not way but supporting Iran and Ahmadinejad, because he has stood up against colonialism and the colonial policies of the world powers so strongly that we are left with no other choice but supporting him”. Hmm his stifling of freedoms especially those of women are irrelevant then.

Perhaps he should stick to poetry after all. Better still, he should stick to the good stuff like free clinics, literacy programmes , and subsidised shops (mercals).

6 comments:

Erica said...

Egad.

Mugabe as a "true warrior of freedom?"

I'll be sure to let my Zimbabwian in-laws know about that one. They'll have a good laugh.... then cry.

jams o donnell said...

Flies in the face of reason and all available evidence, doesn't it!

Garth said...

Be careful whose propaganda you believe - it is easy to bash Chavez on his words (both real and misquoted) but not so easy on his actions.

jams o donnell said...

I think you have a point slb, perhaps it is better not to campaign in doggerel either!

Pisces, When Bush or Blair cosies up to a repressive bastard I am angry, you are angry. Chavez is not and should not be immune from the same criticism.

MC Fanon said...

Jams, what do you think of Chavez? I'm finding myself more and more alienated from him (not the poetry, though; good find!) and I'm beginning to wonder if he's really the man of the people he advertises himself as. Your thoughts?

jams o donnell said...

I have mixed feelings about him Dave: On one hand it does seem that he has tried to do some good at home albeit with mixed fortunes. On the other hand there is an authoritarian streak (eg his treatment of unions) and his foreign policy actions often seem crass and idiotic (not that the US, UK etc are much better on that score).