14 May 2007

A buoyant Lewis Hamilton


With four podium finishes in his first four grand prix races and top spot in the driver standings Lewis Hamilton is a very happy young man.

"If I keep scoring points and the team remain competitive and consistent then anything is possible," he said "It is my first season so I have to expect some ups and downs but I believe I can stay in a strong position."

The 22-year-old is two points ahead of Fernando Alonso, the reigning world champion, and a further one clear of Felipe Massa, who won his second consecutive race in Spain. Hamilton extended the record he set at the last race in Bahrain for consecutive number of podiums at the start of a career. And he has taken over from Bruce McLaren, founder of the McLaren team, as the youngest driver ever to lead the world championship.

"I am living my dream after working so hard for this. To come out of my fourth Grand Prix, leading the championship, is just incredible for me."

Winning the championship in his rookie year is far from being a pipe dream. Whether he does it or not obviously remains to be seen. Wherever he finishes, he has made an astonishing start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.