13 September 2007

Okay, perhaps Labour is working after all

It is a little amusing to see that the Labour Party has just appointed Saatchi and Saatchi to handle its advertising for the next election. Saatchi and Saatchi was previously used by the Tories and its "Labour isn't working" campaign was a factor in Thatcher’s election victory in 1979.


Campaign (the trade journal of the advertising industry) describes the appointment as "laced with irony and interest". The appointment will probably fuel speculation that Gordon Brown is planning to call a snap election.


In reality there is no surprise in this move as business is business. Once Saatchi and Saatchi would have been described as loyal to the half-crown. It’s a shame that decimalisation made that joke meaningless....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "Labour isn't working" campaign was so brazenly hypocritical.

I wonder what slogan Saatchi and Saatchi will devise for Gordon Brown.

"David Cameron isn't working" perhaps?

jams o donnell said...

Too true, given that unemployment nearly tripled under Thatcher...

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I wonder what symbol loyalty trades under in the stock market?

jams o donnell said...

That would be the almighty dollar!

Steve Bates said...

I love the "half crown" joke. I guess it must be my having worked for rare coin dealers for so long a few years back.

EWBL, you can probably name political consultants right here in Houston who work for a D or an R depending on who offers the most USD. As jams said, to them, business is business. Not to me... you couldn't pay me enough to work for a Republican in a political job. What a surprise, eh? :) Fortunately, politics is not my livelihood.

jams o donnell said...

Fortunately you get to choose Steve. Me, I don't....