21 January 2010

Omicron Centauri – end of the line


Harry Beck created a classic when he designed the London Underground map. I don’t think he ever imagined it would be used to provide a schematic of something far, far larger.

The computational sociology fellow Samuel Arbesman designed the Milky Way Transit Authority transit map in order to display the "vast and complex interconnections" of the Milky Way in an accessible and familiar way.

"This map is an attempt to approach our galaxy with a bit more familiarity than usual and get people thinking about long-term possibilities in outer space," he said. "Hopefully it can provide as a useful shorthand for our place in the Milky Way, the important sights and make inconceivable distances a bit less daunting.
Each line on the map corresponds to an arm of the galaxy, and the "stations" are actual places in their locations albeit stars, nebula and other astronomical objects (including the Hamptons???)

Arbesman admitted he was neither an astronomer or astrophysicist and acknowledged his work leaves room for improvement. He welcomed comments, suggestions or criticisms.

I’m sure some adjustments are necessary but I love the idea of representing something as vast as our galaxy in such a simple and easily digested manner.

17 comments:

Claude said...

Staggering! When I look at the solar system, I'm overwhelmed by the small place Earth occupies. We're even littler in the Milky Way. I'm relieved there's a map for the subway line. I hope I'll know where to return if I wish to explore. I get easily lost. I'll send you a post card, Jams.

Anonymous said...

Fun - I am sure it will be improved upon.

CalumCarr said...

Many years ago my wife-to-be (first) drew up an "underground" map to represent distilleries whose malt spirit had particular characteristics. We did both work for the largest Scotch company.

jams o donnell said...

It does give a strong idea of how insignificant we are Claudia

It is. I hope it does develop Aileni

Now that is a map I would love.. expecially if there really was a a train between them!

James Higham said...

When one tests out Harry's map, one begins to appreciate the theory of relativity.

jams o donnell said...

I had not thought about it that way. I had seen it as giving a sense of proportion but now I think of it

CherryPie said...

I would love to see the final result!

jams o donnell said...

Me too Cherie!

Steve Bates said...

Well, it's not as if he could have used a map of Houston's Metrorail for the purpose. Instructions for drawing your own map of Metrorail:

1. Orient your A4 or 8-1/2"x11" paper portrait fashion,

2. Take out a red pencil and a straightedge of some sort,

3. Draw a single vertical line in the middle of the page, from the top to the bottom of the paper.

There, in all its glory, is a map of Houston Metrorail. Yes, politics has a lot to do with the elegant simplicity. It wasn't planned that way.

jams o donnell said...

Ah I take it that it was meant to be a rther more extensive system Steve?

susan said...

I never did master the London bus routes but I always knew when I found a tube station the green line would take me home :-)

jams o donnell said...

Ah the good old district ine. I used to live near one of its stations....

SnoopyTheGoon said...

So when in the next train for Orion Nebula expected? Coach class, please... and thanks, I have me towel ready.

jams o donnell said...

Ah Snoopy you are a hoppy and a cool frrod who knows where his towel is at!

Susan English Mason said...

Brilliant. Inquiring minds have to know why Snoopy needs a towel for the train.

Susan English Mason said...

Ah! The female version is the towelini.s

jams o donnell said...

Err that should be Hitch Hoker..
I doubt wither Snoopy or I would lopk quite so good in one!