12 June 2010

It's time to mow the flowers... again


It’s time to mow the flowers,
don’t procrastinate.
Fetch the sickles, come,
don’t spare a single tulip in the fields.
The meadows are in bloom:
who has ever seen such insolence?
The grass is growing again:
step nowhere else but on its head.
Blossoms are opening on every branch,
exposing the happiness in their hearts:
such colorful exhibitions must be stopped.
Bring your scalpels to the meadow
to cut out the eyes of flowers.
So that none may see or desire,
let not a seeing eye remain.
I fear the narcissus is spreading its corruption:
stop its displays in a golden bowl
on a six-sided tray.
What is the use of your ax,
if not to chop down the elm tree?
In the maple’s branches
allow not a single bird a moment’s rest.
My poems and the wild mint
bear messages and perfumes.
Don’t let them create a riot with their wild singing.
My heart is greener than green,
flowers sprout from the mud and water of my being.
Don’t let me stand, if you are the enemies of Spring.

--Translated by Farzaneh Milani and Kaveh Safa

From Logos Journal

One year ago today, Ahmadinejad retained his position as President of Iran in what was clearly a rigged ballot... The rest is a matter of record sadly...

11 comments:

susan said...

That is among the most incredible modern poems I've ever read.

Claude said...

It's breaking my heart...

jams o donnell said...

I would strongly recommend seeking out her work Susan

It is so appropriate to the plight of the people of Iran Claudia

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It's a wonderful poem. I will seek out more of her work too.

Ann Flowers said...

I just recently discovered your blog and am so glad I did. What a sweet post!

jams o donnell said...

I'm glad you like it. She is a superb poet

Liz Hinds said...

That sends a shiver down the spine!

Unknown said...

Oh, that is really, really good. Wow. The real deal.

jams o donnell said...

It doe eh, Liz!

She surely is one of the finest living poets

Sean Jeating said...

It's the fifth time I have been reading this, and still I do not feel able to describe my thoughts.
Thus simply: A great peace of poetry. Thanks!

jams o donnell said...

She truly is a great poet Sean